If you’ve been waiting eagerly for the chance to own a radical three-wheeled 2018 Yamaha NIKEN MXT850, then it’s time to celebrate. Not only as the £13,499 price been confirmed, but as Yamaha NIKEN reservations open, you can now see if you’re lucky enough to secure one of the machines.
Interestingly, the MXT850 designation has disappeared as more technical videos and details have been shared. What has stayed the same is the unusual dual front wheel design. The two front tyres mean much higher levels of traction and braking than a conventional motorcycle. And still enable a lean angle of up to 45 degrees.
The idea of having twin front wheels isn’t unusual. Scooters introduced the concept, including the Yamaha Tricity 125 and the larger Piaggio MP3 and Peugeot Metropolis. But the 2018 Yamaha NIKEN is the first sports bike to implement the idea with 15-inch front wheels, and an 847cc, liquid-cooled three cylinder engine.
More details have also now been revealed. We knew there would be a hybrid steel and aluminium frame, with an aluminium swingarm and a 50-50 weight distribution. Other confirmed specifications include the dual 265.6mm front disc brakes and a 299mm rear disc brake for the 17-inch wheel at the back.
2018 Yamaha NIKEN Specfications:
- Deep lean angle, maximum 45 degrees
- Ackerman steering with double upside down front forks
- Hybrid steel and cast aluminium frame with aluminium swingarm
- Approximately 50:50 front-rear weight distribution with rider
- 847cc, 3-cylinder, liquid-cooled, DOHC CP3 engine
- Special fuel injection settings and optimised crank balance
- LED headlight and tail light
- YZF-R1 derived mirrors with integrated LED turn signals
- Dual 15-inch front wheels with 410 mm track; 17-inch rear wheel
- D-MODE with 3 engine running modes
- Cruise Control – operates above 50 km/h
- Traction Control System with 2 modes, and off mode
- A&S clutch for increased stability when downshifting
- Quick Shift System for smoother upshifts
- Compact instrument panel with LCD display
- Aluminium 18-litre fuel tank
- Fully adjustable rear suspension
- Dual 265.6-mm front disc brakes and 298-mm rear disc brake
- 12V DC power outlet
- One colour option: Graphite.
Yamaha NIKEN Accessories:
Yamaha has definitely embraced the Yamaha NIKEN as a full production model. And that includes a range of accessories available to make an unusual machine even more special. That includes a full Akrapovic exhaust system, a radiator protector, knuckle guards, titanium chain adjusters and more.
Yamaha NIKEN Reservations Open:
The ability to reserve a Yamaha NIKEN began on Wednesday, May 16th at 6pm GMT. You can now declare your interest via https://niken.yamaha-motor.eu. And you should find out within 3 working days if you’ve been successful in securing one of the £13,499 three-wheeled sports machines. And who your supplying dealer and next steps will be.
Yamaha NIKEN Gallery:
Not convinced quite yet to splash out on a Yamaha NIKEN for yourself? Well, Yamaha will be touring various locations across Europe with a fleet of bikes from June until October 2018. So there should be plenty of opportunities to hopefully sample it for yourself.